- Database management system is a software which is used to manage the database. For example: MySQL, Oracle, etc are a very popular commercial database which is used in different applications.
- DBMS provides an interface to perform various operations like database creation, storing data in it, updating data, creating a table in the database and a lot more.
- It provides protection and security to the database. In the case of multiple users, it also maintains data consistency.
DBMS allows users the following tasks:
- Data Definition: It is used for creation, modification, and removal of definition that defines the organization of data in the database.
- Data Updation: It is used for the insertion, modification, and deletion of the actual data in the database.
- Data Retrieval: It is used to retrieve the data from the database which can be used by applications for various purposes.
- User Administration: It is used for registering and monitoring users, maintain data integrity, enforcing data security, dealing with concurrency control, monitoring performance and recovering information corrupted by unexpected failure.